OUR BUILT HERITAGE
St. Mary’s Anglican Church, Tacarigua
Credit to Researcher and Writer Angelo Bissessarsingh.
Although Trinidad became a British colony in 1797, the Church of England made little headway in the largely French and Spanish Roman Catholic island until 1844 when an aggressive expansion in the Anglican Church’s mission took place. Leading the charge was William Burnley (1780-1850) the richest man in Trinidad, owning vast estates, and having his seat of power at Orange Grove near Tacarigua. He donated a piece of land astride the old Spanish Royal Road (now Eastern Main Road) and bordered by the Caura River for the establishment of a chapel. Other planters soon got into the fray and in 1842; Acting Governor Sir Charles Chichester laid the foundation stone of the St. Mary’s Anglican Church which was to be a wooden chapel raised on a foundation of Scottish firebricks. In addition to the land, the silver communion service was donated by Burnley and is still in use today